Welcome to the Hartford Rib Off, a two-day charity event, including NEBS and KCBS sanctioned
BBQ contests in the state of Connecticut in 2019.
Friday is a NEBS Tailgate Contest, being held at the Hartford Rib Off Kick Off Party, June 14, 2019.
Saturday is a KCBS Master Series Contest, being held at the 10th Annual Hartford Rib Off Main Event, June 15, 2019.
Cook teams have the option of competing in either just the KCBS contest or both the KCBS and NEBS contests.
- The Hartford Rib Off will follow NEBS rules for Friday and KCBS rules for Saturday.
- There will be 2 KBCS Representatives at the Hartford Rib Off. They will be available to answer questions and will also be making certain that everyone – organizers, cook teams, and judges – follows the KCBS and NEBS rules.
- Friday night is an NEBS Tailgate Contest with 2 judged proteins (chicken wings, steak) and 1 people’s choice selection (chicken wings). Participation in the people’s choice contest is voluntary. The prize for the people’s choice winner is $350.
- Saturday is a KCBS Master Series Contest with 4 judged proteins (ribs, chicken, brisket, and pork) and 1 people’s choice selection (pulled pork). Participation in the people’s choice contest is voluntary. The prize for the people’s choice winner is $500.
- Pit Masters/Cook Teams are responsible for supplying the proteins they will be judged on. Details about the permitted meats are located in the Cook Team packet and the KCBS rules. The event will provide the protein for the people’s choice contest.
- Your competition meat will be inspected prior to any preparation for entry into the contest. The inspection will be performed by the KCBS Reps. Meat inspection guidelines can be reviewed here.
- The grand prize is a cash purse – Friday night $700 for the Grand Champion of the Tailgate and Saturday $1,250 for the Grand Champion of the Hartford Rib Off (with additional cash prizes). Most winners, regardless of place, will also receive a trophy.
- The KCBS reps will hold a cooks meeting at the venue.
- Each standard team space will be 20′ x 30′ and will be marked, abutting one another. You may request a larger space, either 20′ x 40′ or 20′ x 50′, for an additional cost. These costs are detailed on the Cook Team Application.
- We will send out our Cook Team information packet via email, as well as being available here. All detailed rules and regulations will be included, as well as general contest and event information.
- Every cook team must complete a temporary food vendor permit for the City of Hartford. This will be emailed to you, but you can also access it here: Temporary Food Vendor Application
- Cook teams will be permitted to vend on Friday at the Hartford Rib Off Kick Off Party. Teams will not be permitted to vend food on Saturday at the Hartford Rib Off, but may sell non-perishable items and merchandise if desired. **Additional vending rules apply.
Fill out your application to compete in the Hartford Rib Off here.
Check out who’s competing in The Hartford Rib Off in 2019!
Titans Of BBQ
2018 People’s Choice Winner BBQ Sauce
The members of Titans of BBQ became friends through their daughters’ love of fast pitch softball where the girls play together for the CT Titans softball club. Our pit masters quickly discovered a shared passion for BBQ which turned into showcases of great BBQ at team functions. Fast forward three years and BBQ team leaders Brian Oatway, Sam Johnson and Jason Breault are excited to make the 2018 Hartford Rib Off our first competition. We look forward to a great time and making new friends. Keep your eyes out for our softball girls volunteering at the event!
Wile E BBQ
2018 Rib Off 5th Place Overall
2018 People’s Choice Winner Pulled Pork
Wile E. BBQ Pitmaster, Kevin Cofiell, first started smoking meats when he received a smoker as a house warming present in 2013 from his parents. His casual backyard hobby quickly grew as friends and family tried his foods. Kevin experimented with additional meats, appetizers and even side dishes. Wile E. BBQ entered its first BBQ competition, the Hartford Rib Off, in June 2016 and came in 3rd out of 11 teams. Kevin realized that his hobby had the potential to be something much greater. In December 2016, Kevin started Wile E. LLC with the hopes to ultimately make a living from his BBQ. In the few short months in business and very limited advertising, he has already secured several paying events. His dreams of life as a full-time BBQ Pitmaster are on their way.
Hog Tied Barbecue
2018 Rib Off 4th Place Overall
2018 2nd Place Pork
2018 3rd Place Ribs
2017 Rib Off Grand Champion
2017 Best Ribs
2016 Best Ribs
2015 Best Chicken
2014 Best Brisket
Hog Tied BBQ started as a name for a custom BBQ trailer built in 2003 for Pitmaster Frank Balsamo’s 30th Birthday. It was from there on that the name stuck with him and BBQ was in his blood. As the years went on he honed in on his craft and he became involved in the Hartford Rib Off. With the help of his teammates Mike, Steve, Richie and Timmy by his side they are a force to be reckoned with year after year placing very well. All this while have a great time at what they do and benefiting the community. Follow them on Facebook and Instagram at Hog Tied BBQ .
Big Animal Barbeque
Big Animal BBQ is a large group of friends that started going on annual sports and BBQ pilgrimages to Austin, Nashville, and Charleston, and from there grew an obsession with building their own pit and cooking traditional offset Texas BBQ.
Holland Family Tennessee Smoke
“you ain’t had hog, til you had Tennessee hog”
The Holland Family Tennessee Smoke is just as the name says, “family”. Inspired by the Holland sisters of east Tennessee, our mothers, grandmothers, aunts and their Smoky Mountains BBQ recipes. Every May the Holland clan gather in the Great Smoky Mountains recreating the great tastes passed down for generations and now we bring the unique flavor and taste of the Smoky Mountains to the Hartford Rib-Off. You may have heard the mountains get their name from the Cherokee Indians, who called them “shaconage”, meaning, “place of the blue smoke”. Actually the smoke was from the Holland clan doing up chicken, ribs, pork butts and beef briskets. The team is led by Michael Johnson-son/nephew and wife Doreen. Team members include Michelle Johnson-granddaughter/great niece, Ben Hite-grandson/great nephew, Linda Wise-niece, Mike Rock-brother from another mountain clan and Sam Hilliman-son/nephew. Get ready Hartford, there is going to be a new BBQ sheriff in town.
Team Pig Bark
2018 3rd Place Grill Off Overall
What started as a fun backyard competition between friends, Hartford Riboff founder Guy Neumann and co-founder Jonathan Sablon, quickly morphed into a highly successful annual charity event. In 2009, chef and team captain Jonathan Sablon formed Team Pig Bark based out of Canton, CT. Jonathan hand-picked a team of friends that shared his love and passion for BBQ, experimenting with various cooking techniques, great beer, fun, family, and philanthropy. They’ve not looked back since! This talented team, which also includes members Paul Frazer, Mike Frazer, Paul Gallant and Bill Wendent, built a one-of-a-kind, custom smoker from a repurposed 275 gallon oil tank. Boasting a 55 gallon offset smokebox made with a wood stove conversion kit, this beauty uses only 100% natural wood- no propane or electric here! If you’ve been to the last several Rib Offs you’ve seen this magnificent beast. After several years of test runs and experimenting with techniques to perfect the cooking system, not to mention Jonathan’s mouth-watering dry rubs and sauces, the flavors that come out of this will make you cry tears of joy. Team Pig Bark is proud to participate in this fun event that supports some very worthy charities.
Big Betty BBQ
T-Bone BBQ is a Massachusetts based BBQ team made up of a husband and wife duo. Kathy the organizational GURU of T-Bone BBQ. From start to finish Kathy orchestrates the prep to finishing touches to all their turn-ins. Kathy has been featured for her media work in Huffington Post, NBC, NECN, and many local affiliate markets. Kathy likes to compete in BBQ competitions that give back. Her favorite events support Fire Departments, Veterans Organizations, and Non-Profits that support children in need. With her husband Tom by her side, they compete as T-Bone BBQ. Tom is a managing software developer. He spends his free time cleaning the pits, middle of the night BBQ wake ups and being Kathy’s second set of eyes. Tom also is always on the lookout for American Made BBQ accessories and rubs for Kathy to review. Tom enjoys having the time to BBQ to relax from his crazy day time schedule. He fuels American Made Smokers and fills it with endless flavorful recipes and tasty tidbits about BBQ.
Charter Smoke Barbecue
Although the name Charter Smoke may have officially appeared in 2012, we’ve been cooking competition BBQ, winning the big checks and breaking hearts since 2009.
It all started back in that magical year of 2004 when our founding member and team Captain, J Ball, graduated from a prestigious culinary university and stumbled upon the two loves of his life: his wife and the delicate art of brisket. It was at this time that he decided to dedicate his life to that seductive mistress we call barbecue.
Our four man team consisting of John Ball, Dan Burgos and the brothers Hurlburt (Tyler and Jesse), have a combined total of nearly 20 years of BBQing experience. Every year we take-on more and more contests, go head-to-head with better and better barbeque cooking teams and refine our skills with each and every showing. We’ve found there is nothing better in life than getting together on a weekend, cooking some great BBQ and enjoying some good beer.
Dog Star BBQ
2018 Rib Off Grand Champion
2018 1st Place Chicken
2018 2nd Place Ribs
2018 2nd Place Brisket
2015 Rib Off Grand Champion
Proud to have been a part of the Rib Off since 2011 (then known as Maple Leaf BBQ), the cook team led by Pitmaster Eric Michaud, Dan McCabe, Angelo Casagrande and Lou Zarchen share not only a passion for mouth-watering BBQ, but for rescuing dogs and finding each of them life-long homes. This unbeatable combination of BBQ know-how and pure heart has earned them the 2015 Grand Championship at the Hartford Rib off, along with a sponsorship to the New England BBQ Championship! This year the team is proud to welcome new team member, Mike Murak!
Mayor Mike’s Pit Crue
2018 4th Place Grill Off Overall
2018 3rd Place Steak
The Mayor Mike’s Foundation for Kids, an organization created in honor of Hartford’s late, great Mayor Mike Peters, has made its mission to serve underprivileged children in Hartford through financial support of educational and recreational programs. The group’s motto is “Go Hartford!,” evoking the enduring spirit of one of Connecticut’s most dedicated and popular politicians. Since the beloved mayor’s passing in 2008, the foundation has donated more than $170,000 to support local Little Leaguers and hoopsters get registered and outfitted for programs they would otherwise be unable to afford. The foundation holds an annual pasta dinner, a golf tournament and a spring Brews & BBQ party at the Hartford Elks Lodge, featuring food by Mayor Mike’s BB Crüe. Launched by Mayor Peters’ son, Christopher, along with daughter Michelle, nephews Timothy and Paul and niece Bethany, the foundation, and the “Go Hartford!” motto embrace the idea that Hartford is, and will continue to be, a thriving city in the 21st century.
2018 Grill Off Grand Champion
2018 Rib Off 3rd Place Overall
2018 1st Place Steak
2018 1st Place Ribs
2018 1st Place Brisket
2018 3rd Place Chicken
Kane’s Big Smokin BBQ
Three guys from Hebron got together a few years ago to get serious about BBQ. Jim, Ev and Tim make up the cooking team with a lot of help from family and friends. Excited for our first Hartford Rib Off.
2018 3rd Place Pork
2018 2nd Place Shrimp
Little Mark’s BBQ Gangstas
2018 Grill Off Reserve Champion
2018 2nd Place Steak
2017 1st Place Brisket