Pit Masters FAQ
- All important documents for competitors can be located here, as soon as they are updated.
- We will follow NEBS rules for Friday and KCBS rules for Saturday. Click here to view the full KCBS rules.
- There will be 2 KBCS Representatives at our event. They will be available to answer questions and will also be making certain that everyone – organizers, cook teams, and judges – follows the KCBS rules.
- Friday night is an NEBS Tailgate Contest with 2 judged proteins (TBD) and 1 people’s choice selection (TBD). OFFICIAL GRILLING RULES to follow.
- Saturday is a KCBS Master Series Contest with 4 judged proteins (ribs, chicken thighs, brisket, and pulled pork) and 1 people’s choice selection (ribs).
Click here for the KCBS Contest rules.
- Participation in the people’s choice contest is voluntary. The prize for the people’s choice winner (each contest) is $500.
- Pit Masters are responsible for supplying the proteins they will be judged on. Details about the permitted meats will be included in the Cook Team Information Packet. The event will provide the protein for the people’s choice contest.
- Your competition meat will be inspected prior to any preparation for entry into the contest. The inspection will be performed by the KCBS Reps.
KCBS Meat Inspections Guide
- Turn in containers must be 9×9 styrofoam clamshells. Each turn in must contain at least 6 portions of meat, all of which must fit into the 9×9 container. Detailed information about turn in rules and suggestions can be found in the KCBS Rules documents.
- The grand prize is a cash purse – Friday night $700 for the Grand Champion of the Tailgate and Saturday $1,000 for the Grand Champion of the Hartford Rib Off. Most winners, regardless of place, will also receive a trophy.
- The KCBS reps will hold a cooks meeting at the venue.
- Each standard team space will be 20′ x 30′ and will be marked, abutting one another. You may request a larger space, either 20′ x 40′ or 20′ x 50′, for an additional cost. These costs are detailed on the Cook Team Application.
- We will send out our Cook Team information packet via email. It will also be posted via the “Important Documents” link below.
- You will also receive another information packet when you check in to the event.
- Check in: TBD
- Every cook team must complete a temporary food vendor permit for the City of Hartford. This will be emailed to you, but you can also access it here: Temporary Food Vendor Application
- We need lots of volunteers to help us reach our goal of raising the most money possible for the charities we’re supporting. Please fill out the volunteer form and let us know which day/s you want to help out. All volunteers will receive a Hartford Rib Off ‘Staff’ shirt, and full access to the BBQ spread and soft drinks while you’re at the event. Over 21 volunteers will be given full all-inclusive access to the event when their volunteer shift is complete.
- Some of the volunteer duties include set up, food serving, clean up, crowd direction, etc.
- All volunteers will receive a letter from the Hartford Rib Off outlining your community service, if requested.
- We need volunteers for Friday June 14, 2019 in the afternoon and evening.
- Volunteers are welcome for one or both days.
- Volunteers for the Friday Night Beer Fest must be 21+
We need judges for both Friday June 14 and Saturday June 15.
For confirmed Judges, we will communicate on a regular basis via email. Information is also outlined in our Judges Information Packet. This will be updated as more information becomes available.
The KCBS reps will be holding Judges meetings on both days of the competition.
We anticipate hosting 2000+ attendees at this year’s Hartford Rib Off. This will be a great opportunity for exposure and a great return on your investment.
Vendors at last year’s Rib Off saw a direct uptick in sales directly following the event.
Available sizes for your display are 10×10, 12×12, and 10×20. Sponsorship opportunities are also available.
Please fill out the vendor application form to be included in this fantastic event.
Your Friday ticket grants you full access to the Friday event only.
Your Saturday ticket grants you full access to the Saturday event only.
Ticket Prices are as follows:
Friday, June 14 Hartford Rib Off Beer Fest (over 21 only)
- $ All inclusive ticket
- Each attendee will receive one glass for beer. The pours will be up to 6oz per, no limit. Two Roads is bringing their streamliner and sours will be sampled.
Saturday, June 15 Hartford Rib Off
- All inclusive adult ticket price – $65
- *Limited* advance discount ticket price – $50
- Youth ticket for ages 12 – 20 – $20
- Children under 12 always enter for free
Your ticket price includes all you can eat BBQ, all you can drink soft drinks, water, beer from 17 Breweries on Friday or 2 Roads Brewing on Saturday, Tito’s Handmade Vodka cocktails, entertainment, kids activities (Saturday only), other activities, and more!
Attendees will receive one cup for beer when they enter and present their ticket (21+ only). This cup is the only cup that beer will be poured into, don’t lose it! You will not be given a replacement cup.
Some of our vendors may be offering items for sale.
The Hartford Rib Off is a rain or shine event. There will be over 15,000 square feet of tents overhead.
We encourage you to bring chairs for comfort, as well as a pop up tent for shade. Sunblock and bug spray are also a good idea.
The Hartford Rib Off is a pet-free event, with the exception of service animals.
All ticket sales are FINAL.
ALL TICKET PROCEEDS GO TO THE CHARITIES WE SUPPORT
Car Show FAQ
For more information and/or to enter your car in the Hartford Rib Off Car Show hosted by the 860 Car and Truck Club, contact Leon Coon at email@example.com
Trophies awarded to 1st, 2nd, 3rd Best In Show
One trophy to Best Rev
Judging performed by 860 Car and Truck Club. Members of club are ineligible for prizes.