Pit Masters FAQ
- All important documents for competitors can be located here.
- We will follow the KCBS rules for both dates of the competition. Click here to view the full KCBS rules.
- Our competition is called a Competitor’s Series, which is 2 different types of contests in the same event. KCBS Pit Masters/Cook Teams are not eligible to receive KCBS Team Of The Year points from a Competitor’s Series event.
- There will be 2 KBCS Representatives at our event. They will be available to answer questions and will also be making certain that everyone – organizers, cook teams, and judges – follows the KCBS rules.
- Friday night is a KCBS Grill Off with 2 judged proteins (shrimp and steak) and 1 people’s choice selection (BBQ Sauce to be served with chicken thighs). OFFICIAL GRILLING RULES
- Saturday is a KCBS Backyard Smoke Contest with 4 judged proteins (ribs, chicken thighs, brisket, and pulled pork) and 1 people’s choice selection (pulled pork).
Click here for the KCBS Backyard Competition rules.
- Pit Masters are responsible for supplying the proteins they will be judged on. Details about the permitted meats will be included in the Cook Team Information Packet. The event will provide the protein for the people’s choice contest.
- Your competition meat will be inspected prior to any preparation for entry into the contest. The inspection will be performed by the KCBS Reps.
KCBS Meat Inspections Guide This meat inspection will take place on Friday, June 15th from 10am – 2pm.
- Turn in containers must be 9×9 styrofoam clamshells. Each turn in must contain at least 6 portions of meat, all of which must fit into the 9×9 container. Detailed information about turn in rules and suggestions can be found in the KCBS Rules documents.
- This year you do NOT have to cook for the general attendees.
- The grand prize is a cash purse – Friday night $700 for the overall winner of the Grill Off and Saturday $1,000 for the overall winner of the Rib Off. People’s choice cash purse is $200 Friday night and $400 Saturday. Most winners, regardless of place, will also receive a trophy.
- The KCBS reps will hold a cooks meeting at the venue on Friday, June 15, 2018 at 3pm.
- Each team space will be 20′ x 20′ and will be marked, abutting one another.
- We have sent out our Cook Team information packet via email. It is also posted via the “Important Documents” link below.
- You will also receive another information packet when you check in to the event.
- Check in: Teams may check in on Thursday, June 14th from 9am-5pm and on Friday, June 15th from 10am-1pm. All teams MUST be checked in by 1pm on Friday, June 15th.
- Every cook team must complete a temporary food vendor permit for the City of Hartford. This will be emailed to you, but you can also access it here: Temporary Food Vendor Application
- We need lots of volunteers to help us reach our goal of raising the most money possible for the charities we’re supporting. Please fill out the volunteer form and let us know which day/s you want to help out. All volunteers will receive a Hartford Rib Off ‘Staff’ shirt, and full access to the BBQ spread and soft drinks while you’re at the event. Over 21 volunteers will be given full all-inclusive access to the event when their volunteer shift is complete.
- Some of the volunteer duties include set up, food serving, clean up, crowd direction, etc.
- All volunteers will receive a letter from the Hartford Rib Off outlining your community service, if requested.
- We need volunteers for Friday June 15, 2018 in the afternoon and evening.
- Volunteers are welcome for one or both days.
- Volunteers for the Friday Night Beer Fest must be 21+
- At this time, we need Saturday volunteers for the late shift.
We still need a few judges for Friday June 15, 2018
For confirmed Judges, we will communicate on a regular basis via email. Information is also outlined in our Judges Information Packet. This will be updated as more information becomes available.
The KCBS reps will be holding Judges meetings on both days of the competition.
On Friday, June 15th, judge check in is at 5:30pm and judges meeting is at 6:00 pm. On Saturday, June 16th, judge check in is at 10:30am and judges meeting is at 11:00 am.
Please be aware, for allergy purposes, that one of the judged proteins (for Friday’s Grill Competition at the Beer Fest) is shrimp. Please contact us if you are a confirmed judge for Friday but have a shellfish allergy. We will make sure you are confirmed to perform a KCBS duty which will not put your health at risk.
We anticipate hosting 2000+ attendees at this year’s Hartford Rib Off. This will be a great opportunity for exposure and a great return on your investment.
Vendors at last year’s Rib Off saw a direct uptick in sales directly following the event.
Available sizes for your display are 10×10, 12×12, and 10×20. Sponsorship opportunities are also available.
Please fill out the vendor application form to be included in this fantastic event.
Your Friday ticket grants you full access to the Friday event only.
Your Saturday ticket grants you full access to the Saturday event only.
Ticket Prices are as follows:
Friday, June 15 Hartford Rib Off Beer Fest (over 21 only)
- $75 All inclusive ticket
- Each attendee will receive one glass for beer. The pours will be up to 6oz per, no limit. Two Roads is bringing their streamliner and sours will be sampled.
- Dinner is included in the price of your ticket. It will include steak, shrimp, baked potato bar, sides, dessert.
The purchase of a Beer Fest ticket includes a coupon code for 30% off a Saturday Hartford Rib Off Ticket (arrives in your ticket confirmation email once purchased), a $19.50 value.
Saturday, June 16 Hartford Rib Off
- All inclusive adult ticket price – $65
- *Limited* advance discount ticket price – $50
- *Limited* Family Pack ticket price – $120 includes 2 adult tickets and 2 under 21 tickets (ages 12 – 20)
- Youth ticket for ages 12 – 20 – $20
- Children under 12 always enter for free
Your ticket price includes all you can eat BBQ, all you can drink soft drinks, water, beer from 17 Breweries on Friday or 2 Roads Brewing on Saturday, Tito’s Handmade Vodka cocktails, entertainment, kids activities (Saturday only), other activities, and more!
Attendees will receive one cup for beer when they enter and present their ticket (21+ only). This cup is the only cup that beer will be poured into, don’t lose it! You will not be given a replacement cup.
Some of our vendors may be offering items for sale.
The Hartford Rib Off is a rain or shine event. There will be over 15,000 square feet of tents overhead.
We encourage you to bring chairs for comfort, as well as a pop up tent for shade. Sunblock and bug spray are also a good idea.
The Hartford Rib Off is a pet-free event, with the exception of service animals.
All ticket sales are FINAL.
ALL TICKET PROCEEDS GO TO THE CHARITIES WE SUPPORT
Car Show FAQ
For more information and/or to enter your car in the Hartford Rib Off Car Show hosted by the 860 Car and Truck Club, contact Leon Coon at email@example.com
With your car show entry, you will receive a coupon code for one 50% off ticket. One car receives one coupon code, a $32.50 value.
Trophies awarded to 1st, 2nd, 3rd Best In Show
One trophy to Best Rev
Judging performed by 860 Car and Truck Club. Members of club are ineligible for prizes.
Thank you to our friends at for generously setting up a special rate for the Hartford Rib Off!
For instructions on booking a room at the Goodwin Hotel at the Hartford Rib Off exclusive rate, click here.