Beginning this year, the Hartford Rib Off, Inc. has formed the Hartford Rib Off Scholarship Fund. There will be at least one recipient of $2,500.00 in 2018, with the hopes of increasing the number of recipients in the future.
A $2,500 scholarship (non-renewable) will be awarded to a graduating senior in good standing, either from an accredited Hartford, CT High School or who resides in Hartford, CT, and who has shown commitment to their community through volunteer service.
This scholarship is expressly intended to alleviate expenses related to college living which are not covered by academic scholarships. The Hartford Rib Off knows that while expenses for classes, books, and room and board can be covered by academic scholarships, expenses related to living while at college are not. This scholarship will help to alleviate the burden of these expenses so that the student can concentrate on learning, not on worrying about paying for necessary items.
Requirements and Prerequisites
– Must attend high school in Hartford, CT or reside in Hartford, CT
– Must be graduating in the Spring of 2018
– Must be accepted and enrolled at a 2 or 4 year college and plan to be enrolled full time in the fall semester of 2018
– Immediate and extended family members of the Hartford Rib Off, Inc. Board of Directors and Advisory Board, are not eligible to apply
– Commitment to the community through volunteer service – 50%
– Essay question response – 40%
– Letter of recommendation – 5%
– Academic record – 5%
Required Materials for Application
– Completed scholarship application
– Official sealed high school transcript
– One letter of recommendation from a leader, organizer or Executive Director of an organization that you volunteer for
– Write an essay (no more than 350 words) in response to the prompt question provided on the applicant essay page
– Copy of letter of acceptance from college you plan to enroll in.
All applications must be submitted by April 15, 2018. The selection process will be completed through a controlled evaluation to ensure objectivity. Applications will be evaluated by a committee. Each committee member will score in the 4 categories and the administrator will tally and compile the scores. The scholarship recipient will be notified in early June, 2018. The winner will be invited to be our guest along with their parents or guardians at the 9th Annual Hartford Rib Off on June 16, 2018 to be recognized as the scholarship recipient.